Paid Internship - Assistant Director Intern
November 24, 2021
We are inviting applications for a paid Assistant Director Intern to work on Private Peaceful at the Nottingham Playhouse, before it embarks on a nationwide tour.
The successful candidate will be taken on as an Assistant Director Intern, under renowned Director Elle While (Artistic Director of Pentabus theatre, Revival Director of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time). They will then be employed by Jonathan Church Theatre Productions as Associate Director for the subsequent tour.
This is a fantastic opportunity to develop your skills on a professional production, before stepping up into an Associate role. The role will be varied and will range from observing and assisting during rehearsals and the run at Nottingham Playhouse, to taking responsibility for 'getting in' the production and leading understudy rehearsals throughout its nationwide tour. This opportunity is ideal for an early career director looking to make the transition from small-scale productions to larger, commercial, touring productions.
Criteria for Applying
Candidates should have:
- Have had some training and/or have worked as a Director on at least two productions (perhaps Fringe/pub theatre)
- Experience working as either an Assistant Director or Associate Director (ideally, but not necessarily, on a touring production)
- A willingness to learn; a collaborative and enthusiastic attitude
- Not had an attachment to a mainstream theatre or production company (for example, as a member of The Old Vic 12)
- A Masterclass Membership (click here for more info & to join for free)
Please note if you have completed a degree or higher education qualification you will still be eligible to apply.
How to Apply
To apply, candidates are asked to:
- Send a CV and covering letter (no longer than one side of A4) explaining how you would benefit from the placement. Please include your full name in the title of the documents, and make sure they are saved as PDFs.
- Please send your application to email@example.com with the subject heading: AD - PP INTERNSHIP
Period of Engagement:
17 January 2022 – 26 February 2022 Internship for Masterclass)
26 February - 9 July (Associate Director Position, Jonathan Church Theatre Productions)
- Closing date for applications: 9am, Wednesday 8 December
- Interviews: Wednesday 15 December
You will be based at the Nottingham Playhouse for the duration of the Internship. For more information about the production, including locations and dates for the ongoing tour under Jonathan Church Theatre Productions, please see the tour website.
This is a paid placement, paid at National Living Wage for the Internship (£360 a week, until 26 Feb 2022). The position advertised is in addition to any professional roles on the production. The subsequent Associate Director role is subject to a new employment contract with Jonathan Church Theatre Productions, and will paid at £300 per venue from Chichester onwards, with all travel and accommodation covered.
With grateful thanks to Jonathan Church Theatre Productions for helping to make these opportunities possible. Generously supported by the Harold Oppenheim Charitable Trust
All candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
If you have any questions, please contact the Masterclass office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org