Paid Internship - Production Intern with Sonia Friedman Productions
February 05, 2024
Masterclass and Sonia Friedman Productions are seeking applications for a Production Intern, to work across multiple productions during their busiest periods. This is an exciting development opportunity for someone who wishes to gain practical experience and knowledge of working in production on commercial shows, as well as learning more about commercial production and the industry. This internship is intended to facilitate access to the commercial theatre industry for those candidates who have not previously had opportunities for involvement.
SONIA FRIEDMAN PRODUCTIONS (SFP) is an international production company responsible for some of the most successful theatre productions around the world. Since 1990, SFP has developed, initiated and produced over 200 new productions and together the company has won 61 Olivier Awards, 39 Tonys and 3 BAFTAs. Current productions include: The Book of Mormon (West End); Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (West End, Broadway, Hamburg and Tokyo); Stranger Things: The First Shadow, a co-production with Netflix (West End); The Hills of California (West End); Merrily We Roll Along (Broadway); Funny Girl (US tour).
The Production Internship will run from April 2024 to September 2024.
The Production Intern will shadow and work closely with the Production teams across rehearsals, technical rehearsals, and understudy rehearsals, to manage the day to day running of productions.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Assisting with weekly financial processes and summaries
- Assisting with Opening Night Parties and Gifts
- Being present in the rehearsal room to assist as required
- General administrative assistance
- Working as a runner when required for Auditions and Rehearsals
Criteria for Applying
- Be able to demonstrate their commitment to pursuing a career in Theatre Production
- Be I.T. literate, with good written and verbal communication skills
- Be self-motivated, with the ability to handle a range of projects
- Work well under pressure and within a team
- Be eager to learn through observation
- Not have had professional experience working in a production or technical role on a large scale commercial production. (**Our internships vary from entry-level placements to later career development opportunities. This role is an entry-level placement, specifically for a person who aspires to work in commercial theatre production, but has not yet had an opportunity to gain hands-on experience.*)
Sonia Friedman Productions and Masterclass are committed to building a theatre workforce that embraces equality, diversity and inclusion. As such, our recruitment focuses on providing opportunities to those currently underrepresented in our workforce, and across the entertainment industry. We particularly welcome and encourage applications from candidates from the global majority, who come from a working class background, who have access requirements, or who have faced specific obstacles to progression. (Some activities required for this role are in venues with step-free access, but reasonable adjustments will be made to ensure that the successful candidate can operate effectively.)
- Be aged 18+
- Be available for the full period of the placement
- Have the right to work in the UK for duration of the placement.
Placement dates: 15th April 2024 to September 2024
Location: Central London
Salary: £25,000 per annum, pro-rated for the length of the placement.
Working Pattern: 40 hours per week. Monday to Friday, with very occasional evenings and weekends.
Annual Leave: 28 days annual leave including bank holidays, pro-rated for the length of the placement. There will be times you are unable to take holiday, and this will be confirmed by the production team.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete this Application Form.
You can download the questions to prepare in advance here.
OR, if this process is not accessible to you, please send a video or audio file explaining your interest in production, your experiences to date, and how you would benefit from the placement, to email@example.com with the subject heading: PRODUCTION - SFP INTERNSHIP
- Closing date for applications: 10.00am, Wednesday 21 February
- First interviews: mid-March
With grateful thanks to Sonia Friedman Productions for making this opportunity possible.
If you have any questions, please contact the Masterclass office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org